Sunday, September 8, 2013

Aug. 24 - Aug. 25 - Exploring Tainan and getting bicycles!


August 24, 2013

Today I had my first violin lesson with a teacher in southern Tainan.  I was not excited and the teacher did not excite me, either.  He told me to work on my shifting, vibrato, legato, and keeping my fingers closer to the fingerboard.  We went to Darren's first cello lesson afterwards and then walked across the street to a traditional outdoor market.  We had stinky tofu, sugarcane juice and segments, various meat pies, and other doughy things.

Chewing on raw sugarcane

That night we went to Anping, which is a historical district in Tainan.  We walked around and tried different local foods, including, baked oysters, shrimp rolls, tea eggs, and brown sugar biscuits.
eating baked oysters in Anping


August 25, 2013

We went to the Rolling Egg, an American-style breakfast restaurant, with my dad's coworker.  He is from Australia and his children are half Chinese.  The lunch was tasty.
Darren, me, and Patrick at the Rolling Egg
That afternoon we headed south to Kaohsiung to a Giant Bicycles store to check out some used bicycles for Darren and me.  We found a blue 24", 21-speed bicycle for me and a silver 20", 7-speed bicycle for Darren.  The store refurbished both bicycles for us and even put new tires on mine.  I was super excited and happy.  We had to take off the front wheel of my bike in order to fit both bicycles in the trunk of our car.



No comments:

Post a Comment