Wednesday, July 17, 2013

July 14 and July 15, 2013 - getting shots and visiting Sanyi

July 14, 2013:

Today I had my violin lesson and we worked on a different section of the Meditation de Thais.  My teacher took us to the cafe in his building and treated us to drinks.  Darren got black tea and I got a chocolate drink.  In the afternoon we went to the day market and grabbed a small snack for lunch.  Then we walked around the town and found a pasta place for our early dinner.  I had pesto pasta and lots of tea.


July 15, 2013:

Today my mom told Darren and me that we were going to the doctor's office to get shots for a disease passed on from pigs by mosquitoes.  Shots are bad.  When we were waiting at the office, I just wanted to get it over with.  Darren went first and I was distracting him.  After he was done with his shot, then it was my turn.  It felt like a really hard pinch.

Then we went to the city of Sanyi, north of Taichung.  We had lunch at a Hakka-style restaurant.  Hakka refers to the original Taiwanese people that migrated here from China.  I loved the noodle dish.  After lunch we walked around area and saw lots of woodcarving and sculpture work.  There was a statue of a god with 1000 arms and each one was actually carved out.  In another store they had rocks that looked like different Chinese cuisine.  It looked like actual food from far away.  On our way home we went to a defunct train station in the city of Shengxing.  This train station was the highest in all of Taiwan.  We walked along the tracks and up to the tunnel.


Very enthusiastic waiting to get my shot

Getting a shot


Ke-jia (Hakka) food in Sanyi

The noodles were my favorite

Daily special - eggplant with intestines

Bamboo shoot stew

Yum!  these look pretty good! -- but they're rocks!

appetizer platter -- but they're rocks!

Elephant wood sculpture in Sanyi

Shengxing train station -- the highest train station in Taiwan


Walking on the streets of Shengxing

No comments:

Post a Comment